500ml (2 cups) of extra virgin olive oil
8 eggs (whole)
350g (12oz) pistachios
60g (2 oz) flour
2 lemon zest, grated
8g (2 tsp) baking powder
for the lemon curd.
8 lemons juiced
6 tbsp sugar
8g (2 tbsp) corn starch
180g (8 tbsp) sugar.
125ml (1/4 cup) of Limoncello liquor
In a mixing bowl beat with the whisk the eggs and the olive oil for 2 minutes.
- add the sugar and keep beating for 2 more minutes.
- add the flour and the baking powder little at the time while mixing at low speed.
-grind the pistachios in a food processor until is a coarse powder.
-add the lemon zest
- add the pistachios to the mixing bowl and mix for 1 minute at higher speed.
- prepare a 12x10x2.5 backing pan with a sheet of backing paper oiled with some of the olive oil.
- transfer the mixture into the backing pan and level it well.
- put it into the oven at 350F for 35 minutes.
- when cooked it should have a light hazelnut color. Don’t worry if it looks a little undercooked in the center. Once cold it will have the right consistency.
- set aside to cool for a couple of hours.
Prepare the lemon curd.
In a small saucepan put the lemon juice and the sugar. mix well and cook at low flame until boiling. Mix the corn starch with a tbsp of water so that it dissolves into a liquid and add it to the lemon and sugar juice. boil for 1 minute. transfer into a container. set aside.
When the cake is cold enough to be cut, slice it into two half lengthwise, like a sandwich.
wet both the inside surfaces with the Limoncello and top one of them with the curd.
close back the cake with the other half.
let it soak for 1/2 hour and serve it with a dust of powder sugar and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.